Monday, October 27, 2008

There and Back Again

Last week was New Orleans. Possibly my favorite place in the world. One of the other tours was only 4 hours away,so I got to see both Jamie and Arlee,my 2 bestest buddies! I miss those girls like crazy. We had a rough show schedule,but I almost didn't care because of where we were.

RANT ALERT * * * *RANT ALERT * * *

I need to take issue with the way that the media has been handling the issue of post-Katrina New Orleans. The storm was a little over 3 years ago and rebuilding,while slow,has been proceeding. There are still neighborhoods that have not recovered,but much of the city is back to normal. All the major tourist areas - the French Quarter,the Garden District,Downtown,and the Faubourg Marigny district - were largely untouched. Shops,bars and restaurants are all up and running,and they need your business. Bourbon Street this past Friday was as hopping as I've ever seen it. But when CNN reports from New Orleans,do they show you JazzFest,Mardi Gras,or VooDooFest? Nope. They send Anderson Cooper to stand in the Lower 9th Ward and talk about how the city is still "a scene of total devastation". Nothing could be further from the truth. Yes,there are those neighborhoods that are still ruined,but that's because the media continues to scare away tourists. Those neighborhoods were home to the musicians,waiters and bartenders. They can't get their homes back until they get their jobs back,and they won't get their jobs back until the tourists return. This city is safe. This city is vibrant,and it needs you. CNN and FoxNews need to stop scaring people away,and report the good news that New Orleans is open for business. I don't know who reads my blog but I urge all of you spread the word - the Big Easy is back. Please come.

Our first casting change - Caitlin,who was on the MLP tour with me last year and was our Elmo,fractured 2 bones in her foot and is out indefinitely. So we have a temporary Elmo,Tiffany. She played Elmo in this show last year and was able to jump right back in. She's only with us till XMas,at which point Caitlin should be back.

We're back in Florida this week for a split week - Gainesville and Fort Myers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home