Friday, November 16, 2007

Rant

I would like to take this blog entry to discuss the current writer's strike going on in Hollywood. While I respect the writers' right to strike,and I share their view that the average Hollywood producer is a greedy,money-grubbing lowlife,I can't help but have this deep,intrinsic view that they should quit their bitching and go back to work. As I'm sure most of you reading this know,I work in an industry where there is intense competition for jobs. I am one of the lucky ones at the moment who has one of those aforementioned jobs. My field in this industry has a union,which I do not belong to. There is a tendency among many members of this union to look down upon those of us not in the union. I have,many times in my career,been treated like I was a second-class citizen,simply because I am a non-union performer. The view is that because I am non-union,then I am somehow less talented than those in the union. I have worked with directors and even fellow performers who will condescend to me,or even refuse to speak to me,simply because I do not belong to the union. I am very tired of seeing untalented union actors get their ass kissed while absolutely brilliant non-union peformers get treated like crap. Is it any wonder then,that I have been instilled with a deep dislike of unions in general.

I realize this is an unpopular point of view. But in my opinion,if you want to be treated well and taken care of,then you need to do your job competently. This alludes also to the current stagehand strike in New York. There is an overwhelming attitude among union members in the performing arts field of,"I don't have to care. I don't have to give 100%. I'm union!" Maybe if the Hollywood writers actually produced some decent work,I'd have more sympathy. I can count on one hand the number of quality programs on television today,and I don't even remember the last movie I saw that had a decent script. If you want a decent paycheck,then you have to earn it in my opinion. I am very thankful that I have a job right now. I do not take anything for granted. I bust my ass every single performance. Why? Because there are a million people out there who would love to have my job. If I can't do my job(or don't WANT to do my job) then I can be replaced by someone who does. So to all you writers and stagehands out there - quit your bitching and do your damn jobs! Be thankful that you even HAVE a job! Do you have ANY idea how many other people you are putting out of work because of the actions of your unions? If you don't like the way you are being treated in your job,then quit! Ruining other people's livelihood is not the answer. Do your job.

Laredo TX this week. Split week next week - Wichita Falls TX and Tulsa OK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home